About the Library
“One best book is equal to hundred good friends but one good
friend is equal to a library”.
The library is the powerhouse of our College. The library collects, achieves,
and disseminates the
information to its users rendering to student’s needs. The library is
located in the heart of the
campus incorporating modern technologies to deliver the readers the right
information at the
right time. Bethlahem College of Education Library is dedicated to
delivering quality service and
an outstanding collection of materials to support the mission, goals,
educational, and research
needs of students, staff, faculty, administration, and public users and in
support of the college's
Vision of Library
- To support and enhance intellectual crossroads for the Bethlahem
- To endorse teaching and research and discourse by leading the campus
organizing, and making scholarly resources accessible.
- To make an inspiring space for study, collaboration, and discovery.
Mission of the Library
- To aid the College to carry out its objectives namely conservation
and dissemination of
knowledge through teaching, publication, and extensive programs.
- To satisfy the present and future information needs of the users and
to evolve a well-
organized system for information storage and retrieval.
- To educate and assist college students and staff in the
identification and effective use of
information resources preserve the library collections and materials
and maintain and
upgrade physical and technological set up to enhance the quality of
- To deliver intellectual access to information through learning
activities that are integrated
into the curriculum and help all students achieve information
literacy by developing real
cognitive strategies for selecting, retrieving, analyzing,
evaluating, synthesizing, creating,
and collaborating information in all formats and all content areas
of the curriculum.
- To deliver current library materials and databases that support the
- To collect library materials in all formats, broaden and update all
collections to meet the
needs of Bethlahem College of Education programs, and support the
various aspects of
the institution: teaching, training, research, and services
- To meet or exceed accreditation standards by NAAC.
- To provide access to the library resources and servers via web
pages, Digital Repository,
and online recourses.
- To help the faculty members and students to attain high academic
- To facilitate the creation of new knowledge.
- To facilitate optimal use of knowledge by all staff and students.
- To encourage and foster reading habits among staff and students.
- To provide a curriculum-based, flexibility scheduled, open-access
that accommodates all learners.
- The library has an area of 3744 sq.
- The digital library is equipped with 9 systems
- The seating capacity in the library is 150
- The library works between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on working days.
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is accessible in our Library.
- The library is automated.
- The printer and copier are meant for use.
- Internet’s bandwidth/speed is 2 Mbps.
- The reference section has 2500 volumes
- The reprography section has a photocopier.
- The library is partnering with an inter-library loan service.
- Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) N-List facilities are
Library membership is open to the faculty members, research scholars,
students and administrative staff of the college. Research scholars and
faculty members from other universities can use the library facilities
the special permission.
- The privilege of borrowing books from the library is restricted to
- Members are provided OPAC with RFID Barcoding identity cards.
- Library identity cards should be issue for borrowing books. These
cards are not transferable.
- Number of books to be borrowed varies according to the category of
- Loss/damage of cards and books should be reported immediately to the
- Readers will be charged with fines for overdue loans at the @ Re.2/-
per book per day.
The basis for the automation of the library was started with the manual
of the details of the
books. These facts were continued in the data entry terminals and
Databases for books,
journals, and these were shaped. The database for serial holdings is
Based OPAC has been shaped for more than 15,775 books available in the
activities were computerized providing statistics on the issue and
books and demands
about issues and retrieval of books.
Collection growth has been done custody given the interdisciplinary
the study in this
College. Library obtains books on various fields of information –
Humanities, Management, and Science. Also supplying to the academic
and faculty members of the college, the library has a profound
such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, yearbooks, census reports,
bibliographies, etc. The present
collection exceeds 9000 Title which includes textbooks, reference books,
theses, and back
volumes of journals. It endorses 50 periodicals and also receives 1
journal as a gift and on
an exchange basis. It also contains learning materials in a wide variety
The Library has an extensive range of reference books on all subjects
areas taught at the
college. Apart from this, we have a collection of dictionaries and
thesaurus, biographies and
autobiographies, encyclopedias, handbooks, project books, books on
affairs, books on English grammar, humanities, and location awareness.
for competitive exams like NET, SET, TET, TRB, and TNPSC are accessible
the library for
reference. Internet facility is available in the library. There are no
specified hours for internet
usage in the library. The printer and photocopying machine are available
the library. For
issuing books, the Radio Frequency Identification system (RFID) is
There is also an
OPAC system in the library through which various library resources can
easily studied. Our
College Library has a reading room with the capacity of a chair of 150
Regular library hours, book bank systems, question banks, and regular
ensure the maximum utilization of the library resources in full. Thus
library is well equipped
and the library resources are used to the maximum.
Access to Library Resources
All documents are classified according to Dewy decimal Classification
Open Access System is adopted in the library. OPAC (On-Line Public
Catalogue) has been created. Multi-searches via author, title, and
and class number are possible. Special reference collections of books
placed in separate section.
Current Awareness Service
The new books are displayed in the display racks. The wrappers or jackets
the latest additions are displayed in the notice board.
Selective Dissemination of Information
SDI is provided manually to limited extent based on the requirement.
The library assists readers in finding information in the library books
journals, in preparing bibliographies, in guiding readers generally in
most efficient use of the library’s resources and facilities.
Newspaper Clipping Service
The newspaper clipping from 5 dailies on various subjects are made
to readers for reference.
Special displays are arranged on important events in the main reading
As part of Library activities, Students Corner and Career Corner are
in our Library.
Students from Matriculation and Government Schools take part and develop
their reading skills
during the summer vacation. For the career corner, the employment news,
books, Current affairs are given to our student- teachers for their
careers. Scholars from
various universities and colleges utilize the Inter-Library Loan (ILL
Library) facility. The
college toppers are given a Gold Card facility for using the library in
their lifetime. Best reader
and User awards are given to the student-teachers and faculty members.
Library Week is
celebrated to promote the reading traditions among the students and
organized. World book day is celebrated every year in our library. This
world book day was
celebrated with a theme of ‘gift a book and get a friend to give them
to put their reading
and knowledge very creatively and in innovative ways. A Bookfair was
organized in our library
as it enables them to know new titles of the books. Our library provides
opportunity for the
students and faculty members to attend book exhibitions in other
Our library has a well-
operative readers club to improve students reading skills, and raising
awareness among students
of a wider range of written materials. Kavithai day was celebrated to
encourage students writing
skills and to appreciate the power of poetry and how it can capture the
creative spirit of the
human mind. We conduct library committee meetings twice a year for
sharing ideas, and asking questions to know the needs of the students
- The library will be kept open from 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. on all
- Personal books and files should be left on the rack at the entrance
of the library. Plain sheets may be taken instead.
- Students/Staff should enter in the Gate Register while entering the
- The library users should possess their ID card while they are inside
- Silence should be strictly observed in the Library.
- Discussions are not allowed inside the library.
- Books will be issued only on production of Bar-coded ID card.
- No sub-lending of book is permitted.
- Membership Cards are not transferable.
- Marking and underlining with pencil or pen and folding the paper
edges for book marks are absolutely forbidden. Readers shall be held
responsible for any damage done to the book belonging to the Library
and shall be required to replace such book or pay the value thereof.
- The arrangement of chairs and other furniture in the reading area
should not be disturbed.
- For the benefit of its users, the library is following the Open
Access System. The books, current journals, back volumes taken out
the racks shall not be replaced. They should be left only on the
- UG students can borrow three books and PG students can borrow three
books at a time.
- Books will be issued normally for a period of seven days. Depending
on the demand for the books at a particular time, some books may be
issued for three days or for overnight use only. If a book is not
returned on the due day, a fine of Re.2 per day will be collected.
- The following conditions are to be followed for the renewal of
- The book has to be produced in the Library for renewal.
- More than one renewal will not be allowed.
- A book may be extended, provided there is no particular demand for
- Absence from the College will not be allowed as an excuse for the
delay in the return of books.
- Students are expected to use the books with care. If a book is lost
or damaged borrower should replace the book or pay penalty 5 to 10
times the cost of the book.
- Users are allowed to take the photocopies of the required articles.
- Photocopying of full.
- While accessing the E-resources of the library, proper entries are
to be made in the records of the library. Downloading of the
information is also permitted.
- Accessing unwanted and unnecessary information from the internet is
- New books received will be on display for a week.
- Using of Mobile Phones inside the Library is strictly followed.
- Violation of the rules would lead to expulsion of the student from
- The above rules are introduced to regularize the use of the
library resources and will be reviewed periodically to meet
the changing needs.
- Any changes in the rules or information to members will be
notified on the Library Notice Board as and when required.