About the Library
“One best book is equal to hundred good friends but one good friend is equal to a library”.
Library is the power house of our College. Library collects, manages and disseminates the information to its users according to student’s need. Library is situated in the heart of the campus incorporating the modern technologies so as to provide the readers right information at the right time. Bethlahem College of Education Library is committed to provide quality service and an excellent collection of materials to support the mission, goals, educational, and research needs of students, staff, faculty, administration, and community users and in support of the college's diverse curriculum.
Vision of Library
- To support and enhance intellectual crossroads for the Bethlahem College community.
- To promote teaching and research and discourse by leading the campus in acquiring, organizing and making scholarly resources accessible.
- To create an inspiring spaces for study, collaboration, and discovery.
Mission of the Library
- To aid the College to carry out its objectives namely conservation and dissemination of knowledge through teaching, publication and extensive programmes.
- To satisfy the present and future information needs of the users and to evolve an efficient system for information storage and retrieval.
- To educate and assist college students and staff in the identification and effective use of information resources preserve the library collections and materials, and maintain and upgrade physical and technological infrastructure to enhance the quality of service.
- To provide intellectual access to information through learning activities that are integrated into the curriculum and help all students achieve information literacy by developing effective cognitive strategies for selecting, retrieving, analyzing, evaluating, synthesizing, creating, and communicating information in all formats and all content areas of the curriculum
- To provide current library materials and databases that support the academic curriculum
- To Collect library materials in all formats, broaden and update all collections to meet the needs of Bethlahem College of Education programs and support the various aspects of the institution: teaching, training, research and services
- To meet or exceed accreditation standards by NAAC.
- To provide access the library resources and servers via web pages, Digital Repository and online recourses.
- To help the faculty members and students to attain high academic distinction.
- To facilitate creation of new knowledge.
- To facilitate optimal use of knowledge by all staff and students.
- To encourage and foster reading habit among staff and students.
- To provide curriculum-based, flexibility scheduled, open access learning environment that accommodates all learners.
- The library has an area of 3744 sq.
- The digital library is equipped with 9 systems
- The seating capacity in the library is 150
- The library works between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on working days.
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is available.
- The library is totally automated.
- Printer and copier are meant for use.
- Internet’s band width/speed is a 2 Mbps.
- The reference section has 2500 volumes
- The reprography section has a photocopier.
- The library is partnering with inter-library loan service.
- Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) N-List facilities are available.
Library membership is open to the faculty members, research scholars, students and administrative staff of the college. Research scholars and faculty members from other universities can use the library facilities with the special permission.
- The privilege of borrowing books from the library is restricted to members only.
- Members are provided OPAC with RFID Barcoding identity cards.
- Library identity cards should be issue for borrowing books. These cards are not transferable.
- Number of books to be borrowed varies according to the category of the members.
- Loss/damage of cards and books should be reported immediately to the Librarian.
- Readers will be charged with fines for overdue loans at the @ Re.2/- per book per day.
The groundwork for the computerization of the library was started with the manual entry of the details of the books. These details were nourished in the data entry terminals and stored. Databases for books, journals and theses were created. The database for serial holdings is under progress. Web Based OPAC has been created for more than 15,775 books available in the library. Circulation activities were computerized providing statistics on the issue and return of books and queries about issues and retrieval of books.
Collection development has been done keeping in view with the interdisciplinary nature of the study in this College. Library acquires books on various fields of knowledge – Education, Home Science, Humanities, Management and Science. Besides catering to the academic needs of the students and faculty members of the college, the library has a profound collection of reference resources such as encyclopedia, dictionaries, yearbooks, census reports, bibliographies etc. The existing collection exceeds 9000 Title which include textbooks, reference books, theses and back volumes of journals. It subscribes to 50 periodicals and also receives 1 (one) periodical as gift and on exchange basis. It also includes learning materials in a wide variety of electronic formats.
The Library has a wide range of reference books on all subjects and areas taught at the college. Apart from this, we have a collection of dictionaries and thesaurus, biographies and autobiographies, encyclopedia, hand books, project books, books on general knowledge, current affairs, Book on English grammar, humanities and environment awareness. In addition, books for competitive exams like NET, SET, TET, TRB, and TNPSC are available in the library for reference. Internet facility is available in the library. There are no specified hours for internet usage in the library. Printer and photocopying machine are available in the library. For issuing books, Radio Frequency Identification system (RFID) is followed. There is also OPAC system in the library through which various library resources can be easily reviewed. Our College Library has a reading room with a seating capacity of 150 and M Ed Resource Center.
Regular library hour, book bank system, question bank and regular assignment preparations ensure the maximum utilization of the library resources in full. Thus the library is well equipped and the library resources are utilized to the maximum.
Access to Library Resources
All documents are classified according to Dewy decimal Classification Scheme. Open Access System is adopted in the library. OPAC (On-Line Public Access Catalogue) has been created. Multi-searches via author, title, and subject and class number are possible. Special reference collections of books are placed in separate section.
Current Awareness Service
The new books are displayed in the display racks. The wrappers or jackets of the latest additions are displayed in the notice board.
Selective Dissemination of Information
SDI is provided manually to limited extent based on the requirement.
The library assists readers in finding information in the library books and journals, in preparing bibliographies, in guiding readers generally in the most efficient use of the library’s resources and facilities.
Newspaper Clipping Service
The newspaper clipping from 5 dailies on various subjects are made available to readers for reference.
Special displays are arranged on important events in the main reading hall.
As part of Library activities, Students Corner and Career Corner are conduct in our Library. Students from Matriculation and Government Schools take part and develop their reading skill in the summer vacation. For the career corner, the employment news, General Knowledge books, Current affairs are given to our student- teachers for their future career. Scholars from various universities and colleges utilize Inter Library loan (ILL Library) facility. The college toppers are given Gold Card facility for using library in their life time. Best reader and User award are given to the student-teachers and faculty members. Library week is celebrated to promote the reading habits among the students and various competitions were organized. World book day is celebrated every year in our library. This year world book day was celebrated with a theme of ‘gift a book and get a friend’ to give them chance to put their reading and knowledge very creatively and in innovative ways. Book fair was organized in our library as it enables them to know new titles of the books. Our library provides an opportunity for the students and faculty members to attend book exhibition in other colleges. Our library has a well-functioning readers club to improve students reading skills, and raising awareness among students of a wider range of written materials. Kavithai day was celebrated to promote students writing skills and to appreciate the power of poetry and how it can capture the creative spirit of the human mind. We conduct library committee meeting twice a year for providing feedback, sharing ideas and asking questions know the needs of the students and staff.
- The library will be kept open from 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. on all working days
- Personal books and files should be left on the rack at the entrance of the library. Plain sheets may be taken instead.
- Students/Staff should enter in the Gate Register while entering the library.
- The library users should possess their ID card while they are inside the library.
- Silence should be strictly observed in the Library.
- Discussions are not allowed inside the library.
- Books will be issued only on production of Bar-coded ID card.
- No sub-lending of book is permitted.
- Membership Cards are not transferable.
- Marking and underlining with pencil or pen and folding the paper edges for book marks are absolutely forbidden. Readers shall be held responsible for any damage done to the book belonging to the Library and shall be required to replace such book or pay the value thereof.
- The arrangement of chairs and other furniture in the reading area should not be disturbed.
- For the benefit of its users, the library is following the Open Access System. The books, current journals, back volumes taken out the racks shall not be replaced. They should be left only on the tables.
- UG students can borrow three books and PG students can borrow three books at a time.
- Books will be issued normally for a period of seven days. Depending on the demand for the books at a particular time, some books may be issued for three days or for overnight use only. If a book is not returned on the due day, a fine of Re.2 per day will be collected.
- The following conditions are to be followed for the renewal of books.
- The book has to be produced in the Library for renewal.
- More than one renewal will not be allowed.
- A book may be extended, provided there is no particular demand for it.
- Absence from the College will not be allowed as an excuse for the delay in the return of books.
- Students are expected to use the books with care. If a book is lost or damaged borrower should replace the book or pay penalty 5 to 10 times the cost of the book.
- Users are allowed to take the photocopies of the required articles.
- Photocopying of full.
- While accessing the E-resources of the library, proper entries are to be made in the records of the library. Downloading of the information is also permitted.
- Accessing unwanted and unnecessary information from the internet is strictly prohibited.
- New books received will be on display for a week.
- Using of Mobile Phones inside the Library is strictly followed.
- Violation of the rules would lead to expulsion of the student from the college.
- The above rules are introduced to regularize the use of the library resources and will be reviewed periodically to meet the changing needs.
- Any changes in the rules or information to members will be notified on the Library Notice Board as and when required.